Blog purpose: To help artists be artists with tips on art techniques, setting up your own website, putting on art shows, etc. as well as my own trials and tribulations with being an artist.

Monday, April 11, 2011

Making Large Pieces of Art


I'm working on my largest painting yet! I have to say, this is a lot more difficult than painting on a smaller canvas or piece of wood.

To start with, I was worried about getting an even background color, because with a canvas that size (48x24) you obviously can't just use a regular paint brush. So I got a paint roller, just like the one's you use to paint your wall. I mixed the color I wanted for the background, then just rolled on the paint. This was a very fast method and it only took me a minute or two to evenly paint the whole background.

The only thing is if you want the background to be smooth, this method will not work because you end up with the tiny bumps, just like when you're painting a wall. Luckily I didn't need my background to be smooth.

I should also make note that I'm doing this painting with acrylic paint, because I need it to dry quickly. I would have loved to do it with oil, in which case I would have probably painted the background with a regular, large horsehair paintbrush, but due to the fact that I have no space to allow that to dry for a week or so, I went with acrylic.

Now I'm sketching my main subject for the painting, before I start to paint her on the canvas. Above is one of my sketches.

I plan to have this picture completed by my June 4th art show, and I will post regular updates as the picture comes along. It will be a mixed media painting, with acrylic.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! I've never tried using a roller, if I ever paint again, I'll have to give that a shot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it worked surprisingly well. I will be using it often from now on.

    ReplyDelete