Blog purpose: To help artists be artists with tips on art techniques, setting up your own website, putting on art shows, etc. as well as my own trials and tribulations with being an artist.

Monday, April 26, 2010

Documenting my progress as an artist

This blog will be completely devoted to my art and everything involving my art. I will be documenting my work, my struggles to figure out how to get myself out there, my ideas and solutions to artist problems, etc. Maybe this blog will be able to help other artists, or just be something I can come back and refer to if I forget what I wrote.

Problem #1: How do you get prints made of your art? I have this one pretty much solved, I will go into detail on a separate blog.

Problem #2: How to get a good website without paying a month's salary for it. This is what I'm working on currently.

Problem #3: How to promote yourself, make your work known. Also working on this one.

Problem #4: How to get your art in galleries, have art shows, and have your art displayed. Also working on this one.

Problem #5. How to actually make money from your art and hopefully transition it into a full time job (if that's what you want). I figure this one will hopefully fall into place after I figure out the first 4.

There are obviously other situations that artists run into, which I will go into as they come up. My most recent issue has been finding the time to paint after my baby was born. We have a tiny, tiny, I mean TINY apartment with no storage space and only 1 bedroom. We also have two cats. There is really no space to paint, and no safe place to put a painting to dry. But a couple days ago I threw all that out the window and began painting a picture at our coffee table after the baby went to sleep. The picture in now on the cleaned off dresser, and I just hope one of the cats doesn't jump on it!

So this is what this blog is about. If this blog helps even just one other artist besides myself, then I will consider it a success.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marcy. Good luck with the new blog. For problem #4 try to find a local artist guild to join or how about your local cable TV station. Sometimes cable TV will offer space for artists work to hang. Produce a show about your art.
    How about a bank or coffee house?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sid. Good suggestions on getting my art shown! I will be putting some in some local coffee shops, I just need to do some more originals :) Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete